im Focus 17
As always, the issue was packed very well; wrapped in paper and then inside a cardboard envelope. The magazine is printed on 50 high-quality glossy pages and all the text is in both German and English and the quality of the English translation is perfect. The photographs are all good quality and never before published.
The magazine starts as usual with an editorial from the editor. Here Axel tells us that this issue of U-boot
Next, we get into the content of the magazine itself. The subjects of the various topics are
- 50 pages with 51 photos – thereof 1 in colour, 3 coloured emblems, 1 coloured document, 2 coloured conning tower front views, 4 coloured maps, Readers Forum
- Commanders: Kptlt. Friedrich Guggenberger, Kptlt. Helmut Rosenbaum, Kptlt. Heinrich Schonder, Kptlt. Fritz Frauenheim, Kptlt. Werner Kraus, Oblt.(Ing.) Erich Zürn
- Reader’s Forum: The Spanish Cross for Submariners U-393 – The Experimental Boat of Testing Group Sultan Background: “Wind Strength 11 – We’re Linking up with the Convoy!”
- Conning Towers: U-67 – An Early Type IX C Boat with an Unusual Camouflage Scheme
- Boat in Focus: Into Combat with the Queen of Hearts – An Outline of the Operations by the Early Type IX C Boat U-126
- Unusual: The U-Boat War Badge on an Underwear Pullover
- Documents: An Invitation from the Commander of a Milk Cow
- Fates: Sunk Twice for Reasons other than Enemy Action – The Fate of the Luckless Boat U-1234
- U-Tanker: The Doctor Comes Aboard
- As well as several photos of U-59, U-108 and further information.
Another great bunch of previously unseen photos, with excellent commentaries.
If you’re interested in the Kriegsmarine at all, then this magazine is of special interest to you and highly recommended.
The best way to get these is via the subscriptions that are available here. The publisher now offers free shipping within Germany and shipping has decreased for some other countries too.